You are eligible for academic training if all of the following criteria are met:
- You are in the U.S. primarily to study in a full-time academic program rather than to engage in academic training.
- You are in good academic standing.
- You are in valid immigration status.
- You must apply before the completion of your academic program if you are applying for post-completion academic training.
- The proposed academic training is directly related to your major field of study named on your DS-2019.
- You have submitted a completed and correct Academic Training Recommendation Form approved by your academic dean or your academic advisor.
- Your employment/training must take place with the specific employer and for the specific activity which is noted on your Academic Training Authorization Letter.
- You must receive your Academic Training Authorization Letter from your International Student Advisor, in advance of commencing to participate in academic training. The letter will be issued for the duration and type of academic training. This authorization must be processed before the end date on your Form DS-2019 or before the official date of your degree program completion, whichever comes first.
- Also, the academic training/employment must begin within the first 30 days after your official academic program completion date.
Sponsored J-1 Students
To apply for academic training through International Enrollment your DS-2019 must have been issued by Missouri University of Science and Technology. If your DS-2019 is issued by another agency such as the Institute for International Education (IIE), you must contact your sponsor to process your academic training.
- We are required to determine that sponsored students continue to have adequate financial support to maintain their extended program stay before unpaid academic training can be authorized.
- Unpaid academic training following completion of the student’s degree program is permissible when the student is supported from sources such as the student’s home government or a company. An updated sponsor’s financial guarantee is required for the period of academic training.
- If the student’s sponsor is no longer supporting the student financially, the student must provide a financial statement that covers the entire period of academic training.
All J-1 Students
- Have a formal employment offer, written on official stationery (letterhead) from your potential academic training employer. The job offer letter from your employer must include:
- Your job title
- A brief job description
- The goals and objectives of the specific academic training program;
- A description of the academic training program, including its location, the name and address of the training supervisor, number of hours per week, and dates of the training;
- How the academic training relates to your major field of study; and
- Why it is an integral or critical part of your academic program.
- A brief description of the goals and objectives of your training or employment
- Dates and location of training or employment
- Number of hours per week, salary, and benefits
- Name and title of your training supervisor
- Ask your academic advisor to complete and approve an Academic Training Recommendation Form recommending your proposed academic training. You will need to provide him/her with a copy of your employment offer letter. The recommendation letter from your academic advisor must include:
- The length of time necessary to complete the goals and objectives of the academic training
- Schedule an appointment with your International Student Advisor.
NOTE: Your appointment with your International Student Advisor must occur at least 20 working days before your official degree completion date or before the end date on your Form DS-2019, whichever is earlier. If you fail to submit your application before your program completion, or before the end date on your Form DS-2019, whichever is earlier, you will not be eligible for academic training, because your SEVIS record will become inactive.
- Bring the following documents with you to your appointment:
- Completed Academic Training Recommendation Form
- Employment offer letter
- Proof of funding to show how you will support yourself during your academic training (if your academic training is unpaid).
- If your Academic Training application is approved, your International Student Advisor will issue a new Form DS-2019 to you authorizing the academic training for the duration you requested, if you are eligible for this amount of academic training. Your employer will be listed on the Academic Training Authorization Letter accompanying the new Form DS-2019. The end date on this form is now the end date of your J-1 program. You must apply for an extension of your academic training promptly, if you are eligible to do so, and wish to extend your J-1 program beyond the end date of your DS-2019.