Helpful Resources

For Living in Rolla

Missouri S&T is located in Rolla, Missouri, a convenient 175 km from St. Louis, Missouri.  Rolla is known for its outdoor amenities and welcoming environment. More than 100,000 acres of State and National parks border this safe, friendly city, giving its nearly 20,000 residents abundant opportunities for hiking, fishing, camping and other outdoor activities.

Discover Rolla

The closest airport to Rolla, Missouri is St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL) in St. Louis, Missouri. Ground transportation options from the St. Louis airport to Rolla include:

  • Van Shuttle Service: USA Express Shuttle Service is a transportation company that offers a daily van shuttle service from the St. Louis airport to Rolla. Reservations are required at least 48 hours in advance. Visit their website for departure times, reservations, and pricing.

Additional information on how to get to campus can be found here. Please contact International Admissions at for further questions. 

International Students will need to be prepared to make accommodations upon arrival.
Below you will find resources for on-campus and off-campus housing. 
On-Campus Housing

Missouri S&T offers a variety of on-campus housing. Living on-campus is convenient and enriching. Information about living and dining options is available through Residential Life.

Undergraduate students attending Missouri S&T are required to follow the Residential Housing Policy.

Off-Campus Housing

There are several apartments and houses for rent and purchase in Rolla, many within walking distance of campus. Single bedroom accommodations are available, or you can also find a house or apartment which you can share with roommates.

Off-campus housing arrangements require cash deposits for rent and utilities, as well as purchases of furniture, linens and utensils. Deposits are often the equivalent of one month’s rent. 

The Office of Graduate Studies has put together a helpful housing guide for newcomers to Rolla.

Missouri weather has four seasons. The summers are typically hot and humid, with average temperatures of 32 degrees C. In winter, the average temperature is 0 degree C, and we can expect occasional snow. The weather in fall and spring is mild, with only a light jacket or sweater required.

For weather related alerts, sign up for S&T Alert.

A social security card is required for all international students and scholars who will be employed during their time at Missouri S&T. International students must be employed to apply for a social security card. You cannot apply for a social security number if you do not have a job offer.

A social security number is a unique, nine-digit number issued by the U.S. Social Security Administration. It facilitates the reporting of wages to the government and is required in order to work in the United States. It also serves as a national identification number for taxation and other purposes.

Visit the Social Security Administration website for information about social security services, including eligibility for benefits, employment in the United States, and how to apply for a social security card.

Required Documents:

The following documents are strongly recommended but may not be required.  Both documents are available by request at the Office of International Enrollment.

Submit these documents to the Rolla Social Security office, located at:

1813 East 10th Street, Rolla, MO 65401

Phone: (800) 551-2056

Office Hours:  8:00 am to 3:30 pm (are the appointment times available) - the Social Security Administration in Rolla requests that all applicants for a SSN arrive prior to 3 pm.

Tips for a Successful Social Security Card Application:

Verify that you are in Active status in SEVIS.  Your SEVIS record must be active for at least two days before applying for a social security card.  If you have a record in any other status, you will not be successful in applying for a social security card.

 Wait at least ten days after arriving in the United States before applying for a social security card to allow enough time for your arrival information to update in all government systems.  The Social Security Administration uses the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) program to verify your nonimmigrant status and determine if you are eligible for a social security card.  You can use the SAVE Case Check to follow the progress of your SAVE verification check online

Driver License:

International students can obtain a Missouri driver license by collecting the required documents, taking the driver exam (written and driving), and after successfully passing the tests, bringing the paperwork to the Rolla Driver License & Vehicle Registration Office to obtain your license. 

  • Passport and Visa
  • I-94 Record
  • Original I-20 or DS-2019
  • Proof of residence/address
    • If living in on-campus housing: request a letter from Residential Life
    • If living off-campus: bring a utility bill with your name and address or a copy of your lease.
  • Proof of Identity
    • Provide social security number, if you have one.  
    • If you do not have a social security card, go to the U.S. Social Security office to obtain a letter of ineligibility.


You must take a written and driving exam. To study for your exams, see the Missouri Driver’s Guide.

 Take all required documents to the Rolla Highway Patrol, and take the exams (first written, then driving).The Rolla Highway Patrol is located at:

1301 Nagogami Rd, Rolla MO 65401

Phone: (573) 368-2345, ext. 3973

After successfully passing the written and driving tests, take your paperwork to the Rolla Driver License & Vehicle Registration Office to obtain your license. The Rolla License Office is located at:

1038 S. Bishop Ave, Rolla MO

Phone: (573) 364-7848

Nondriver Identification Card:

If you do not plan to drive, you can apply for a Missouri nondriver identification (ID) card. It is a government-issued photo ID that can be used as a primary form of identification in many situations (e.g., opening a bank account). You will need the same required documentation listed above and can apply at the Rolla Driver License & Vehicle Registration Office.

Call 911 if you or someone you know is in immediate danger. Explain to the operator what type of emergency you have and your location. This number will help you contact the police department, fire department or ambulance. Do not hang up until help arrives.

If you would prefer to speak with a translator, tell the 911 operator your preferred language and they will connect you to a translation service.

University Police Department 

1201 N. State Street

G10 Campus Support Facility

Rolla, MO 65409

(573) 341-4300

S&T Alert 

Missouri S&T’s Mass Notification System (MNS) is designed to alert the campus community to potential threat or emergency situations.

Rave Guardian 

With the protection and safety of our campus community a top priority, Missouri S&T has launched Rave Guardian, a free mobile app that turns your smartphone into a personal safety device.

Rolla Police Department 

1007 N. Elm Street

Rolla, MO 65401

(573) 364-0111

Health Care Providers:

If you have questions about what your health insurance will cover, contact Student Health Services.

If you have a life-threatening medical emergency, dial 911.

There are several places you can seek help if you are sick. See the list of options below and go to the one that best fits your needs.

  • Student Health Services: Student Health operates on the student health fee which allows students to visit the healthcare team with no copay. Some medications, procedures, and laboratory tests may be provided at an additional reduced cost.
  • TelaDoc: Virtually visit with a doctor for non-emergency conditions such as cold and flu, sinus infections, allergies, etc. for both adults and children. You can consult with a primary care provider for routine checkups, ongoing wellness needs and referrals. You can also schedule a visit with a therapist or psychiatrist for mental health issues.
  • Primary care clinics: Provide comprehensive and ongoing health care for individuals and families, including physical exams, vaccinations and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries. You will generally need to call ahead and schedule an appointment at a primary care clinic.
  • Urgent care clinics: Provide care for immediate but non-life-threatening health issues. Some  options for urgent care in Rolla are Rolla Family Clinic, Mercy Convenient Care and Phelps Health Immediate Care.
  • Hospitals/emergency rooms: Provide treatment for severe and life-threatening illnesses and injuries. Emergency care is available 24 hours/day, 7 days a week and no appointment is needed. The local hospital in Rolla is Phelps Health.
Local Pharmacies:
Local grocery stores:

1360 Forum Dr, Rolla, MO 65401

Price Chopper

1360 Forum Dr, Rolla, MO 65401

Walmart Supercenter

500 S Bishop Ave, Rolla, MO 65401


700 Aldi Dr, Rolla, MO 65401

 Other shopping options are available here.

It can be convenient to open an account with a local bank. To open an account, you will need proof of your identity, such as a passport — you should not need a Social Security number. Be sure to contact the banks below regarding the requirements to set up an account. 

Local banks:

To enroll your child in Rolla Public School, you must complete the online enrollment process. A list of schools in the Rolla Public School district is available here.

Community activities for families are also available here.