Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 years old are considered dependents of F-1 or J-1 students. They can be admitted to the United States in F-2/J-2 non-immigrate status.
  • Visa & Immigration
  • Employment
  • Health Insurance

Visa & Immigration

  • To add a dependent, include their information on your Financial Verification Form/Affidavit of Support Form and upload to your application status page. You will need to provide:
    • Biographical information: Name, Gender, Date of Birth, City and Country of Birth, Country of Citizenship, and Relationship (spouse/child) – all information should match dependent's passport
    • Copy of passport for all dependents
    • Copy of marriage certificate for you and your spouse (must be in English)
    • Copy of birth certificate for each accompanying child (must be in English)
    • Financial documentation: An additional $4,000 in financial support for each dependent is required. 
  • After all the necessary documents are provided and verified, new I-20/DS-2019 will be issued for dependents. After receiving the immigration documents, your dependent(s) should check with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for instructions on applying for a dependent visa.
  • Dependents may obtain F-2/J-2 status by entering the U.S. with an F-2 I-20 and visa or J-2 DS-2019 and visa. Dependents may enter the U.S. with or after their F-1/J-1 student, but not before. Dependents are not allowed to remain in the U.S. after the F-1/J-1 student has departed, unless the absence is temporary (less than five months) and the student is in good standing.
  • International Enrollment will need copies of the passports, visas, and I-94 records for all dependents.


  • Dependents in F-2 status are not permitted to work in the United States. F-2 dependents should not engage in volunteer activities unless all individuals who take part in the activities are volunteers.
  • Dependents in J-2 status are eligible to apply for work authorization through U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The application takes approximately three to five months to process. There are no limits to the locations or types of work for J-2 dependents who have received appropriate authorization. J-2 dependents should not engage in volunteer activities in lab work, tutoring or other positions in which a person might receive cash for the work. International Enrollment does not advise on the work authorization process for J2 dependents beyond the general information and process with the USCIS. 

Health Insurance

  • F-2 dependents are not required by immigration regulations to have health insurance; however, it is strongly recommended that they have insurance.
  • J-2 dependents are required to meet U.S. Department of State insurance coverage requirements for the duration of their stay in the United States.

The health insurance offered to dependents through Missouri S&T allows dependents to enroll in the same health insurance as the primary student and for the same period as the primary student - January-July and August -December.   Please contact Student Health Services for enrollment information, including the deadline to enroll in the health insurance for dependents for each insurance term.  

Medical care in the U.S. is very expensive.   Students and their dependents should carefully consider if they have the financial resources to pay for health care costs without insurance.  Illness, injury, or pregnancy can result in expenses resulting in thousands of dollars.  

For more information about health insurance for dependents, please contact Student Health Services.