On-Campus Employment

  • Definition
  • Eligibility Requirements
  • Limitations
  • Process
  • Job Opportunities


Regulations regarding on campus employment may be found under 8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)(i).

  • On-campus employment must either be performed on the university’s premises, (including on-site commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as the university’s bookstore or cafeteria), or at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the university.
  • Employment with on-site commercial firms, such as a construction company building a university building, which do not provide direct student services, is not considered on-campus employment. In the case of off-campus locations, the educational affiliation must be associated with the school’s established curriculum or related to contractually funded research projects at the post-graduate level.
  • You are authorized to work on-campus throughout full-time enrollment in your degree program as long as you maintain valid immigration status. If you are not in valid immigration status or you have a reinstatement pending, you are not eligible for any type of employment authorization.

Eligibility Requirements

  • When you initially enter the U.S. to begin a new course of study, you may not start on-campus employment more than 30 days prior to the actual start of your classes.
  • You are eligible for on-campus employment once you have been registered in SEVIS during your first semester at Missouri S&T.


  • You may not engage in on-campus employment after completing a course of study, except for optional practical training (OPT) which requires authorization from USCIS.
  • You may not engage in on-campus employment if you do not have a valid immigration status or you have a reinstatement pending with USCIS.
  • You are limited to 20 cumulative hours per week while school is in session. You can work full-time during official school breaks.


  • You must receive an official job offer letter from the on-campus employer.
  • You must complete and submit the on-campus employment offer form to International Enrollment (IA) for processing. 
  • When your on-campus employment form has been approved by IA, you will receive an email from ia@mst.edu to pick up your on-campus employment form.
  • Use your on-campus employment form to begin applying for a social security number with the SSN office

Job Opportunities

  • The Career Opportunities and Employer Relations Office (COER) is dedicated to helping students and alumni find part-time and full-time employment.
  • To learn more about available on-campus employment opportunities, please visit: http://career.mst.edu/ or visit the COER office on the third floor of Norwood Hall.