International Travel on Behalf of Missouri S&T

Groups and individuals at Missouri S&T may have the opportunity to travel internationally on behalf of the university. 

No matter your role (student, faculty or staff) or your reason for travel (representing an organization, attending a trip or conference, studying abroad, or leading an expedition), every international trip is unique.

The following information is provided by the Office of International Enrollment to assist you as you plan and make travel choices, as well as to serve as a reminder of the preparation required for successful international travel.  If, after reviewing the information, you have additional questions, please contact us at 573-341-4208.

Remember, all students, faculty and staff must secure the necessary written approval for international travel from your academic or administrative department and the Provost, as detailed below.  Approvals must be obtained before incurring any expenses related to international travel.

International Travel Requirements

Students/Student Groups

  1. Travel Approval
    Academic/administrative department approval
    Risk management approval
  2. Travel Registration
    Registration required
  3. Insurance (Contact Student Health Services)
  4. U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
    STEP enrollment required

Faculty/Staff Traveling With Students

  1. Travel Approval
    Academic/administrative department approval required
    Risk management approval required
  2. Travel Registration
    Registration required
  3. Insurance (Contact Student Health Services)
  4. U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
    STEP enrollment required

Faculty/Staff Traveling Without Students

  1. Travel Approval
    Academic/administrative department approval required 
  2. Travel Registration
    Registration recommended
  3. Insurance (Contact Student Health Services)
  4. U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
    STEP enrollment recommended

International Travel Policies, Approval, and Forms


Approval Process and Forms

All university-sponsored or university-related international travel by students or faculty/staff traveling with students requires two forms of approval:

  1. Risk management approval by the Provost or his/her designee- This approval is managed through International Enrollment.
  2. Approval by academic or administrative department- This approval is managed through CASE, CEC, or your administrative department.

Faculty or staff traveling without students should follow the travel approval process within your department.

1.  Risk Management Approval

The level of risk management approval required is determined by the U.S. Department of State travel advisory level and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) travel health notice level of the destination(s).  Please note, if a trip includes travel to multiple destinations with differing advisory and notice levels and/or conflicting advisory and notice levels, the higher level will be used to determine the process for requesting approval. 

For university purposes, international travel is separated into two levels - standard risk and elevated risk. Below is information about the risk levels and links to the forms required. All forms and supporting documents should be submitted to, or delivered to 104 Norwood Hall at least sixty (60) days prior to planned travel.

STANDARD RISK is defined as destinations meeting these specifications:

  • U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 1: Exercise normal precautions
  • U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 2: Exercise increased caution
  • CDC Travel Health Notice Watch Level 1: Practice usual precautions
  • CDC Travel Health Notice Alert Level 2: Practice enhanced precautions

Standard Risk- International Travel Request Form - for travel in standard risk destinations.

COVID-19 Acknowledgement and Waiver Form

ELEVATED RISK is defined as destinations meeting these specifications:

  • Country with an overall U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 1 or Level 2, but also contains Level 3 (reconsider travel) or Level 4 (do not travel) regions, regardless if travel will be to or through the regions. 
  • U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3: Reconsider travel
  • U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 4: Do not travel
  • CDC Travel Health Notice Warning Level 3: Avoid non-essential travel

Ordinarily, the university does not allow student travel in elevated risk areas.  However, an exception to this policy may be requested through the SITRAS Committee by using the following forms:

Elevated Risk- International Travel Policy Exemption Form- for travel in elevated risk destinations.

COVID-19 Acknowledgement and Waiver Form

2.  Academic or Administrative Department Approval

Approval is requested through the submission of forms to the appropriate academic or administrative unit.  Please contact your department/division to obtain a copy of the appropriate Travel Authorization Form.

More Essential Information

Carefully read the essential travel info for a smooth start to your trip.

Insurance is required for international travel on behalf of Missouri S&T.  Contact Student Health Services for information on how to obtain insurance prior to travel.

The Guidelines for University of Missouri Related International Programs (Section E: Guidelines for Other University Related Travel) requires all students traveling internationally on a university-administered or university-related trip to register their travel in an international travel registry.   Faculty, staff, volunteers, and all other participants traveling with students are also required to register their travel.  Faculty and staff members who are not traveling with students may voluntarily register their travel. 

Since all steps of the travel registration online forms must be completed in a single session (no saving and coming back later), take a moment to read through the registry instructions before you go to the Travel Registry

For students traveling internationally on behalf of the university, as well as faculty/staff traveling with students, Missouri S&T requires registration with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) for all U.S. citizens. Faculty/staff traveling without students are also strongly recommended to register in STEP. 

STEP registry provides notice of your travel to the U.S. embassy of your destination country so that they can better assist you in an emergency.

A valid passport is required for anyone traveling outside of the United States. In addition, many foreign countries require U.S. citizens to obtain a visa for entry, and the rules can vary widely. Please make sure to obtain the documentation necessary well in advance of any international travel, and comply with all of the regulations set by the country to which you are traveling. Many of the requirements for travel are discussed in detail on this page. In most instances, the information provided applies specifically to U.S. citizens.

Students, faculty and staff members who are citizens of other nations should also check the rules and regulations of the host country regarding the appropriate documentation for your visit. Generally, this information can be found on the embassy’s website; however, you may want to contact the destination country’s embassy for additional information.

In order to obtain certain travel documents, such as a newly issued passport or visa, you will be required to provide photos which meet specific requirements for size, background, etc.

Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Health and safety is a primary concern when traveling abroad; advanced planning and preparedness is necessary.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website includes a Travelers’ Health feature with up-to-date information on current travel health warnings and a database with recommendations for vaccinations and/or medications for each country. Visit their site and click on “destinations” to choose the country to which you are traveling.  You will be directed to a specific overview of health information for travelers.   


Medications and vaccines

Please see a health care provider to update vaccinations or to obtain a prescription for antimalarial or other medications you may need. Students may schedule an individual travel consultation with Student Health Services, at no cost.

Another option is to visit a clinic that specializes in travel related services, such as Travel Clinic in Columbia, Mo., or Passport Health in St. Louis, Mo. These clinics can provide travel-related vaccinations and medications. Keep in mind that in some cases, it may take time for the vaccine to take effect, so it is important to plan in advance.


Travel advisories

The U.S. Department of State issues a constantly updated travel advisory for each country in the world.  Each level includes a description of risk and clear advice on actions U.S. citizens should take to ensure their safety.  The university recommends that all university travelers strongly consider these advisories when planning international travel.  The university recommends that faculty or staff do not travel to countries deemed dangerous or unstable (and, ordinarily, does not allow students to travel under these conditions).

Travel advisory levels:
Level 1:  Exercise normal precautions
Level 2:  Exercise increased caution
Level 3:  Reconsider travel
Level 4:  Do not travel


Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC)

OSAC provides the linked document as a reference for planning your international travel: OSAC Travel Security Form


When traveling internationally, individuals and academic departments are able to purchase tickets, reserve hotel rooms, and make any other travel arrangements through a travel agency or airline of their choice.  The least expensive option is often to use an online company to purchase your airline ticket.  However, it is important to know that if your flight is delayed or cancelled, these companies may not provide personalized, 24-hour support to you for rebooking your tickets.  

Uniglobe Travel Designers is the preferred travel agency for the University of Missouri System.    Information about Uniglobe is available online at


Before traveling internationally, we recommended that you contact the bank that issues the credit or debit cards that you plan to carry to inform them you will be traveling abroad.  For security reasons, many card issuers will block access to your card if they notice charges from a foreign country; informing your financial institution in advance will help ensure that you have continuous access to your account during your travels. We also recommend keeping a list of customer service numbers with you in case a card is lost or stolen.


International Transaction Fees

Most credit or debit cards have international transaction fees. Travelers should inform themselves about fees on credit or debit card to be used while traveling. This information is typically available on the issuing bank's website, in your cardholder agreement and/or by calling customer service for your credit or debit cards.

The One Card issued to Missouri S&T faculty and staff has a 1% transaction fee on all charges outside the U.S.



Missouri S&T’s accounting office provides information regarding expense reimbursement and other policies related to travel expenses. In addition, see the University of Missouri policies regarding travel expenses.  As the policies are subject to change, we recommend you visit these websites to review the information provided before departing for your trip. 

Students traveling internationally are expected to observe and maintain University of Missouri standards of conduct, no matter their destination, as representatives of Missouri S&T.


For more information, email or call the Office of International Enrollment at 573-341-4208.