- International Students
- Future Students
- New Incoming Students
- New International Student Checklist
- Current Students
- Sponsored Students
- F-1 Visa Employment Opportunities
- Visiting Scholars
- Applied Language Institute
- Study Abroad
- Life at S&T
- Traveling on Behalf of S&T
- Contact Us
Maintenance of Valid Program Status
For Current Visiting Scholars
Welcome to Missouri S&T! We want to make sure that you gain the most from your time here, so feel free to contact our office with any questions or concerns that you may have before, during, or after your time at Missouri S&T. Please don’t hesitate to utilize the resources that the Office of International and Cultural Affairs (OICA) can provide to you.
It is important that you maintain your lawful J-1 status during your time at Missouri S&T. Failure to comply with requirements may affect your ability to remain in or return to the United States. Listed below are steps you can take to ensure you remain in status while in the United States:
- Enter the United States within the start date listed on your DS-2019 form (item #3). NEVER enter after your start date.
- Check-in with the OICA at 103 Norwood Hall immediately upon your arrival into the United States. Bring your passport, visa, and original DS-2019.
- Attend Visiting scholar Orientation (this will take approximately one hour).
- You are required to keep your physical address (no P.O. Box) updated with OICA and Joe’ss. Report any changes in address (both your U.S. and foreign address) within ten days.
- Maintain a valid passport. Passports may be renewed by your embassy located in the United States.
- All employment activity must be authorized – do not participate in unauthorized employment.
- Purchase the required Missouri S&T student health insurance that covers you and any dependents. J-1 scholars and J-2 dependents are REQUIRED to purchase Missouri S&T student health insurance each semester. Complete the Insurance Compliance Form** and submit to OICA.
- If you do not meet the English proficiency requirement as outlined in 22 CFR 62.10(a)(2), you will be required to enroll in the Missouri S&T Intensive English Program. Failure to enroll may result in your J-1 visa status becoming invalid.
- If you plan to travel outside of the U.S., contact OICA to obtain the necessary signatures on your DS-2019. You will need to complete the Travel Request Form.
- Work with your academic department to report any changes to your J-1 program (ex: program activity, non-paid/paid appointment, financial support, site of activity, early completion/termination, etc.).
- If you wish to end your program early at Missouri S&T and transfer to another institution, you will need to complete the Visiting Scholar Transfer Out Form.**
- Pay close attention to the ending date on your DS-2019 and DO NOT allow it to expire. If your appointment at Missouri S&T needs to be extended, your academic department must submit a new DS-2019 Request Packet **(select "Extension") to the OICA within 60 days prior to the expiration date. Visiting scholars are expected to return to their home country upon completion of their program in order to share their exchange experiences as per the Home Country Physical Presence Requirement under U.S. law. If you are subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirement of INA 212(e), your accompanying spouse or child will also be subject to that requirement.
- Communicate your intention to withdraw/complete/terminate your program by submitting the Visiting Scholar J-1 Exit Form (departure notification) to the OICA.
- Depart the United States within 30 days of the end date listed on your DS-2019 form.
**Forms open best in Google Chrome or Internet Explorer