- International Students
- Future Students
- New Incoming Students
- New International Student Checklist
- Current Students
- Sponsored Students
- F-1 Visa Employment Opportunities
- Visiting Scholars
- Applied Language Institute
- Study Abroad
- Life at S&T
- Traveling on Behalf of S&T
- Contact Us
Frequently Asked Questions
Graduate research assistantships and graduate teaching assistantships are available to graduate students and awarded through the individual departments. International students, however, do not qualify for U.S. government-based student loans or grants.
Missouri S&T’s Office of International Affairs offers an Intensive English Program through its Applied Language Institute, which can bring you up to speed to fulfill Missouri S&T’s English language proficiency requirement.
• Top 50 Best Colleges as rated by America's high school counselors in U.S. News & World Report, "America's Best Colleges, 2009"
• Ranked one of the top ten technological research universities in the US by U.S. News & World Report, “America’s Best Colleges 2006 - 2009"
• One of “America’s Best Value Colleges" and "Best in the Midwest" by The Princeton Review, 2009
• A top 25 connected campus by Forbes "America's Most Connected Campuses," January 2006-date
• A top 20 STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) Research University, Academic Analytics, January 2008
Missouri University of Science and Technology has an enrollment of approximately 6,800 students, including about 820 international students representing more than 55 countries.
- Beautiful campus of 284 acres
- Small class size: average 29 students
- State of the art labs, average number of students per lab: 17 students
- Approximately 13% of the total campus population are international students
- 73% of graduates go on to graduate or professional school
- Number 1 in the Midwest and number 12 in the U.S. among public colleges for "getting rich", August 2008-date.
After you are admitted to a degree program the Office of International and Cultural Affairs will issue to you an immigration document (usually an I-20 or DS-2019). You will use this document to apply for a visa to enter the US. After you check in with the International Office you will receive updated immigration information in the New International Student Orientation, from your International Student Advisor, and in workshops on various immigration topics and from the International Office listserve. Information on SEVIS and other topics can be found by clicking: here.
All instructions for your arrival at Missouri S&T are included in your I-20 packet that is sent to you by the Office of International and Cultural Affairs. When you arrive in Rolla, please visit the Office of International and Cultural Affairs immediately (during business hours, 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday) to check in. The Office of International and Cultural Affairs hosts a New International Student Orientation. This orientation programs prepares you to live in Rolla and attend Missouri S&T, and is mandatory for all new international students. Please see New International Student Orientation Schedule for information on each semester's New International Student Orientation. We have prepared an informative and welcoming orientation day for all of our Fall Semester 2010 students. Please take a look at the day's agenda. The Office of International Affairs also would like to invite our new students to participate in getting to know IA staff members, faculty and other students at the Welcome Picnic. Here is some information on a really fun event.
Rolla is a town of 18,000 people located halfway between two large Missouri cities, St. Louis and Springfield, in the center of the United States. It was ranked one of the 100 best small towns in the United States according to The 100 Best Small Towns in America by Norm Crampton). Click here for a map.
Climate: Mild mid-continental weather - snow in winter; warm, humid summers.
- Average temperature 12.7 degrees C
- Average rainfall 106.4 cm
- Average snowfall 50.5 cm
- Monthly averages range from 1.8 degrees C in January to 25.7 degrees C in July